While we talk about feeling better,having more energy,living healthy and longer through Diet,its hard to ignore the importance of physical activity regimen in our routine .Indulgence in daily physical workout not only helps in preventing heart diseases, like obesity,diabetes,blood pressure,osteoporosis but also boosts your metabolism and uplifts you emotionally too.
Choose the right exercise for you
Whether you plan to exercise for general health benefits, to increase your physical fitness or to help maintain or lose weight,to boost metabolism— it is important to select types of exercise that you can continue to do.. The health, fitness and weight management advantages of exercise all depend on your being physically active regularly and for the long term along with the diet.
Establish goals that are achievable.In the first few weeks, you may not achieve every goal, but if you stick with it, physical activity will become a part of your routine.
Set effective goals that are specific, achievable and forgiving. Rather than saying you will exercise more, set a goal like walking for 30 minutes a day, four times a week.
Schedule Your Activity
The best way to begin physical activity is to schedule time for it. Start by identifying at least five 30-minute time slots in a week for activities like taking a walk, playing sports,dancing,stretching exercises or doing active chores. If missed, reschedule instead of canceling. Find a new time for the activity to replace what you missed.
Guide to choose your workout:
- Exercise and physical activity fall into four basic categories:
- 1) Endurance or aerobic activities that increase your heart rate and breathing rate.They keep your different organs heart,lungs,circulatory system healthy and thus prevent several diseases like diabetes,cholesterols,etc.These exercises may include
- a) Swimming
- b) Climbing hills
- c) Playing sports like tennis,basketball etc.
- d) Jogging
- e) Walking
- f) Rope Jump
- g) Jumping jacks
- 2) Strength exercises/Anaerobic exercises- These are done at a higher intensity for shorter periods of time. They make your muscles stronger.These exercises may increase your muscle mass.These include:
- a) Running
- B) Push ups
- c) weight Lifting Or strength training.
- d) Using a resistance band or resistance training.
- e) Squats
- f) Burpees
- 3) Core Muscle exercises: Core workouts develop the muscles around your abdomen. Paired with weight loss diets, strong core muscles will also give you defined abs.
- a) Planks
- B) Crunches
- c) Sit ups
- d) Bridges
- 4) Flexibility workout-These exercises stretch your muscles and can help your body stay limber.Being Flexible gives you more freedom of movement for other exercises.These include :
- a) Stretches
- B) Asanas/Yogasanas
- c) Pilates
- d) Dancing
- 5) Balancing your doshas(vata-pitta-kapha) and disease management through YOGA: Yoga therapy is useful as an adjunct to modern medical treatment .Yoga therapy has been found to be effective in the treatment and management of the diseases like back pain,arthritis,headache,digestive
Disorders,puffiness,Bloating,asthma,Diabetes etc.along with dietary modifications.
Yoga uses asanas (postures), focused concentration on specific body parts, and pranayama (breathing techniques) to integrate the body with mind and mind with soul.
- a) Asanas:There are asanas for improving particular ailment like Padma Matsyasana for Thyroid,pawanmukatasan for gastric problems,Halasan for Menstrual Problems etc.So asanas along with the diet modification based upon your prakriti can help you combating various chronic diseases.
- b) Pranayam/Breathing exercises
- c) Meditation
You should always alternate between different types of exercise to ensure that your whole body gets the attention it needs.You may also talk to a doctor simply to find out what kind of exercise they recommend for your particular goals and health conditions.